Re: MGB Slave cylinder - HELP.

To: rowman22001@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: MGB Slave cylinder - HELP.
From: MGBnutt@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:19:49 EDT
Paul,
CR's description of the bleeding process is correct.  This was the first
thing I had to do to my MGB in the PO's driveway when I bought my car, since it
wasn't even drivable.  If memory serves correctly, I believe I somehow did it
myself in by filling the slave cylinder with some fluid first, then attaching
it
to the car (would this even work?  I dunno...) and THEN bleeding it. I might
have employed one of those one-way-valve self bleeders or a friend may have
helped me (or both). In any case, I do remember thinking that the rod and lever
moved very little when it was all actually back together and working.

I suggest you take it all apart (i.e., off the car) and dismantle the slave
cylinder on the bench to make sure it is working.  Also, you should be able to
blow into it and move the piston with just air.  Carefully examine the piston,
bore and seal for any defects.  Don't forget the hose and bleed screw holes
too.  I believe someone on the list recently mentioned they'd purchased
brand-new defective parts. I also suppose if you pushed the piston all the way
into
the bore it might be possible it is stuck there and not getting any fluid
behind it to get the process started.
Good luck!
Donny V
1978 MGB

In a message dated 5/19/2004 12:36:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,