RE: MGA transmission mount

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGA transmission mount
From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:21:06 -0700
According to Barney Gaylord's guru site, the OD of the new mount bushing
is supposed to be 1.875 inches. The old one was 1.870, but it did have
the slot cut in it to allow extraction, so it may measure slightly
undersize. The new bushing, however is 1.890 inches. That's 0.015 inches
too large. It refuses to be pulled or driven in. The bushing also has
the problem of the center tube and the rubber mount being too short, as
noted by Barney. Maybe they changed the mount design?

Anyway, the solution I'm working on is to use a brake cylinder hone to
open up the mounting hole in the tranny to about 1.890 inches. I'm
almost there.

Later.:

Well, it worked. I froze the bushing while I honed out the mount on the
transmission. Once I got it to the 1.890 inch size, the frozen bush
drove right it. It was still a tight fit, but it went. I still wonder
why the bushing was oversize. Anybody else have problems similar to
mine?

Thanks, all, for the help.

Howard Battan
Auburn, WA
'57 MGA with a 1600 engine, 63-64 MGB head and carbs, Twin cam/Dunlop
disk brakes and wheels on all four. (I.e., sort of '57 MGA)