Re: steering rack alignment

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering rack alignment
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:58:00 +0100
I made my own indicators out of stiff wire wrapped round the end of each
shaft with one end of the wire off the end of the shaft and its point on the
centre-line of the shaft.  Others have used Blu-tack on the ends of the
shafts formed to a point.  The important thing is to get the point (wire or
Blu-tack) the correct distance from the end of the shaft and this
corresponds to where the centre of the UJ will be when fitted.  You can get
the points centralised easy enough by rotating the shafts.  When the point
doesn't wobble it is centralised.  Then fit shims and/or adjust the position
of the upper column (earlier non-collapsible columns only) until the points
just touch.  If this isn't done it can cause excessive and rapid wear in the
rack pinion bearing.

PaulH.