fuel starvation

To: MGaholics <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel starvation
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:32:00 -0500
I have an interesting thing going on with my car.

Last year, I converted to twin HIFs, and things seemed fine
last year.

This year, when I brought it out of storage, the front carb
leaked a lot of gas. I pulled it and checked the float. It
was way off. Not sure how that happened. Anyway, I reset it.
And things seem fine.

After however, when leaving work, it's about 2 blocks to the
freeway. So it's not warm yet, and the choke is pulled. On the
freeway, I get upto speed (60-70, just trying not to get run
over, honest!) and I get a bit of stumpling. After about a mile,
traffic usually thickens and I'm not going that fast. And it's fine,
usually, the rest of the way home. After the choke is off.

However, this afternoon heading home. 694 opened up and I opened
up a bit, again 65-70. After about 2 miles, I got a little stumbling
again. I got of at the exit, and had no problems the mile in to
home.

When I set the float, I couldn't find my feeler gauges. I think its
time for new ones. A couple thin ones have torn. So I had a straight
edge and I used the end of my digital caliper. I think I didn't do it
right now.

So does this sound like the float bowl can't keep up with the carb
on long duration, or higher fuel situtations?

Anybody have a fool proof method?

As an aside, I filled the tank a coupele days ago, and got 23.6 mpg
(US). I didn't think that was too bad, as some of that tank was used
by the leaking carb.

I also think, I may be having the voltage stabilizer trouble. The fuel
gauge didn't go all the way to the F.

Paul.
77B