Re: a wet ride

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: a wet ride
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:24:20 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:31 AM
Subject: a wet ride

> I would get a shot of water (a small stream, not a drip) on the left leg
> just below the knee. Otherwise, the car stayed quite dry inside.
>
> Now its starting to clear outside. I'm still not sure where the actual
leak
> is but somewhere behind the dash where it will be hard to see. Any one
have
> a similar leak or experience? My first guess would be the seal between
> windshield and body near the driver's end (LHD), even though its a new
> seal. But I don't want to do like the DPO - the car was from Kansas and
the
> owner had run some clear sealant around about every seal on the car. All
> that old sealant has been removed since I had the car totally stripped and
> repainted but it was literally everywhere.

You are correct in your guess, this is a common problem ,especially after
replacing the seal during a resto. The fix is to *judiciously* apply sealant
between the seal and the body

You'll need to carefully lift the seal away from the body (don't scratch the
new paint) and shoot some sealant in there. I've found the best way to lift
the seal is with one of those soft plastic cooking scrapers used for
cleaning bowls. You should be able to find sealant at your local auto
supply, typically 3M makes the stuff, what you want is the type that remains
pliable.

*judiciously

\Ju*di"cious*ly\, adv. In a judicious manner; with good judgment; wisely. In
a non-DPO-like manner  :)

Jeff
'70B