Re: Hot weather overheating

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>, hwmccullough@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Hot weather overheating
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:50:02 -0400
On Fri, 28 May 2004 07:26:08 -0400
 Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com> wrote:
> Hi Sandy,
> SNIP>
>    Does your engine have the correct fan? The yellow
> plastic fan is said  to pull more air through the
radiator than the earlier metal fan.

   Check to insure that the fan(s) are blowing in the
correct direction.  There have been cases where the fan was
installed backwards and would impede the air flow.

   On other thing - insure that all of the air has been
"burped" out of the cooling system.  Long story short, my
radiator was replaced by a repair shop.  They refilled the
cooling system and all was thought to be fine.  The car
overheated on the way home.

   Upon investigaton I found that the cooling system had
trapped air. Slowly filling the cooling system throught the
opening for the top radiator hose and burping the air out
by gripping the lower radiator hose and squeezing made a
huge difference.  I would do this until all of the air was
gone.  This was followed by reinstalling the fill plug and
then topping off the radiator through the expansion tank
again with an occasional squeeze of the lower radiator
hose.

   The car did not overheat after that.

Gene Balinski
80 B