Re: fuel starvation

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: fuel starvation
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:34:55 -0500
Paul Hunt wrote:
> Think of the loss in fuel consumption!  I pour mine back in the tank :o)

I thought of it, but the coffee can I put it into wasn't sparkling
clean, and I figure the mower can handle the contaminates better.

1 1/2 lawn mowings verses 6-7 miles in the car. :-) I gotta buy the gas
for the mower, anyway. Plus, contrary to popular belief, gas prices are
cheap here in the US. ONLY $2 a gallon (US). That's still half of
Europes price. Regardless, of who gets that money, the government or the
oil companies, it's cheap in comparison.

> Pertronix eh?  Remember 90% of carb problems are down to electrics ...

Yeah, I know. But, if the pertronix is going to fail isn't it just going
to stop, not this intermittent thing?

I ordered new spark plug wires from Moss. The ones on there now were
from the PO. They are red. Maybe Magnicore? I just got the regular
wires. Should come this week. I'll get new plugs as I haven't replaced
them since I bought the car, in 2001 (just before the MG convention in
St. Paul). But as I said before, the color looked good on them.

I ran NKG plugs, they worked fine. Anybody got preferences. I know alot
of people look down their noses at Champion.

It ran fine today (in the rain - 626 is still in the shop!) But traffic
was such that I could never get in a long higher speed section. Maybe on
the way home.

So, after oking $800 worth of repairs on the 626, I talk to a woman who
has 3 vehicle and is thinking of getting rid of 1 or 2. Her mini-van
won't start. I told her I'd check it out. Sounds like battery or maybe
starter. GM so who knows. Anyway, she's currently driving a 95 Nissan
Maxima, that she would be interested in selling. So I spend a bunch on
the old 626, and immediately eye a car to replace it. That is if we
don't replace it with a new car in the fall.

>>... But it gave me plenty of gas to mow the lawn
>>
>>No points, this is a '77, and it has a pertronix conversion ...

Paul.

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB