Re: Overheating: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity in Pets

To: "William T Snyder" <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity in Pets
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:28:29 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "William T Snyder" <wtsnyder@juno.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:28 PM
Subject: Overheating: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity in Pets

Hello all. I am usually silent on the list unless I'm asking a question
or need help due to my limited MG knowledge. I am, however, qualified to
give my 2 cents worth on this subject since I have been a veterinarian
for 22 years.

Ethylene glycol toxicity (antifreeze ingredient) is a common problem in
pets, usually due to accidental exposure, but some times from malicious
poisoning. One teaspoon of antifreeze concentrate is enough to kill a 50
lb dog and any cat....

...What can you do?
1. Prevent exposure by using low toxicity coolant which usually contains
propylene glycol (almost as good a coolant and much less toxic). Examples
are Prestone Low-Tox....

Bill Snyder, DVM
'66 MGB
'53 TD under construction
*********************************

Bill,

My wife and I have 2 golden retrievers that are like the kids we never had.
She cares about them at least as much as about me (some days more).

I thank you for putting your 2 cents worth in.  I knew that anti-freeze was
toxic, but had no clue what such a tiny amount could do.  I've always been
careful about proper storage of the stuff, but now have decided that it
isn't worth the chance having it around at all.  I will be replacing it all
with the low toxicity variety.

Thanks again for the education.

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE