Re: Overdrive flakiness question

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive flakiness question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:10:29 +0100
You can check the complete electrical continuity from the comfort of leaning
over the right-hand wing.  Find where the yellow/red (or similar) of the
gearbox harness joins the white/brown of the main harness near the fusebox
and part the connector.  With a test-lamp joining the two it should glow
with the ignition on, the gearbox in an OD gear, and the manual switch on.
With any other combination it should be off.  With intermittent failure to
engage to can bring the test-lamp inside the cabin and watch it while you
drive.  Note that a test-lamp in series will probably stop the OD working at
all but at least you will be able to see if you have continuity.  What might
be better is to use an ammeter in place of the test-lamp which will allow
the OD to work as well as watching for continuity.  But be aware that the OD
circuit is unfused and if your meter or test-lamp wiring floats about and
grounds it can burn the loom.  If you have continuity but the OD still fails
to engage the problem is mechanical or hydraulic.

PaulH.