Re: Overdrive flakiness question

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive flakiness question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:15:55 +0100
This reminds me of another poster saying they find a high proportion of
reverse light switches faulty when rebuilding gearboxes.  In that case they
are using an ohmmeter as well, but it shows a high resistance.  These
switches are very reliable in use, so unless they go high-resistance when
not being used which is possible but I feel unlikely, and is more likely to
be due to the microscopic currents from an ohmmeter being unable to break
down the surface film that develops on silver (for example) contacts.  Even
though switches are not that expensive and easy to replace on a gearbox out
of the car, it is another reason for testing circuits under normal or near
normal voltage and current conditions.

PaulH.