Re: 72B on eBay-your opinion please

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com, mgs@autox.team.net, BarrMark262@aol.com
Subject: Re: 72B on eBay-your opinion please
From: MGBnutt@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 23:27:42 EDT
Well, the buy-it-now price seems a little high to me (I only paid $1250 for
my '78).  The paint "looks" nice, but as Max points out, it doesn't seem to
match the engine compartment.  Besides the lack of an air-cleaner, the air-pump
and PCV valve are missing.  I know the air-pump is no big deal, but what about
crankcase ventilation?  Doesn't the lack of the PCV plumbing pressurize the
engine and force oil in to (or out of) the wrong places?  Also, what is that
crazy heat shield material in the trunk covering up...Big stereo speaker holes?

Oh, and there's no spare tire.  Small points to be sure, but I would
definitely try to get a look at it before shelling out the cash.  In any case,
let the
buyer beware!

Good luck!
Donny V
78 MGB

In a message dated 6/8/2004 7:59:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mvheim@studiolimage.com writes:
on 6/8/04 4:07 PM, BarrMark262@aol.com at BarrMark262@aol.com wrote:

> Hi List: Would some of you look at and read the description and "Buy it
now"
> price of a 72B on eBay. I think it might not be a wise purchase, but I am
> unfortunately interested.
> eBay # 2481547813.
> I greatly respect the opinions of this  membership.

Well, it photographs nicely. Unfortunately the pictures and descriptions
don't really address the important points. It is obvious that the exterior
paint is newer than the engine compartment paint -- is it a quickie respray
hiding all sorts of ills? Can't say. Why is one air cleaner missing? Does
that indicate it hasn't been in regular service? If it hasn't, why not? The
car is offered by a broker, so you aren't likely to get any real info about
the car's history. It could be an OK deal, potentially, but there are an
awful lot of questions. I wouldn't give him his asking price without a
personal look, or at least having a local agent check it out.

Just my 2"
--
Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149