Re: MGA running temp.

To: "Danny Varnado" <dannyvarnado@cox.net>
Subject: Re: MGA running temp.
From: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:16:19 -0800
Danny,

Probably not. You will need to try the "Betson Bolt":

http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-
bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&access=20023575705034&mode=archiveth&subject=71&subjectar
=71&thread=2004042622000514797

In case that link doesn't work, the following is a brief description of the
process that I saved from a few years ago.

~Jerry

From: Rob O. -Mobile AL USA- rob@******.org on 24 November 2000 at 19:36:14

There is a gap of about an inch or two (a few centimeters, sorry) between the
engine plate and the rear of the block where the freeze plug in question is
located. There is a hole in the rear engine plate directly opposite the freeze
plug, so that one could see the plug if one were behind the engine.
Fortunately, this is also above the transmission.

We took a piece of scrap iron, perhaps 1/4" thick and 2"x5", and drilled a hole
dead in the center of the flat side. This hole was then threaded to accommodate
a 3/8" bolt, and a suitable bolt was found. This bolt needs to be rather long,
and a head you can put a socket on would be very nice. This piece of iron was
inserted in the gap between the plate and freeze plug. The bolt was then
inserted through the hole and threaded into the plate. As the bolt is
tightened, it reaches further through the plate until it contacts the plug.
Continued tightening will force the iron scrap rearward against the rear engine
plate and the freeze plug further forward into the hole. and dimple it as it
goes.

> The rear freeze plug on the back side of the engine had
> popped out.  New question. Will the core plugs G.G. Causey has mentioned work
>in
> that location, or do I have to pull the engine?

 Danny Varnado 58 MGA, 78 MGB