RE: MGA running temp.

To: "'Danny Varnado'" <dannyvarnado@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: MGA running temp.
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:24:04 -0400
I have heard of engines running cooler after break in, and it certainly
seems feasible, but I have never noticed it myself.

One other thing that you may not have checked is whether or not the radiator
cap is still the high point in the system, and are there any other local
high spots that may still have air in them?  On the RBB cars the line from
rad to tank will purge any air in the system since there are no other local
high points to worry about.  The heater being the notable exception but that
doesn't affect running temps.  With the shape of the A that may no longer be
the case.

On my V8 the surge tank is the high point, but there is a local high point
at the thermostat neck and it wouldn't purge the air from above the
thermostat.  The solution, thanks to Jim Stuart, was to fit a 1/8 pipe
fitting into the top of the thermostat neck and fit a small hose from there
to the surge tank so that any trapped air would be purged from the neck.  If
air is ever reintroduced from coolant loss, it repurges itself once coolant
level is corrected.

Hope this helps,
James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8