Re: Question for Late Model RBB

To: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Subject: Re: Question for Late Model RBB
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:30:29 +0100
Don - that is what the additional resistor *should* be for.  If you use a
12v coil you will have to connect a full 12v to the coil +ve instead of the
ballasted connection from the white/light-green.  With the 45DE4 system
there was a full 12v connection to the electronics on a white as well as the
additional resistor feeding the electronics on a white/blue, so using the
white - if it still carries 12v and hasn't been chopped - is an alternative
to running a new wire from the white/brown at the fusebox.  However using a
12v coil removes the benefit of the 6v ballasted system which is to give a
boosted coil voltage and hence spark during cranking as opposed to the
reduced  voltage and spark which is normal with 12v coils.  I would prefer
to keep that, above even a so-called sport coil.

If you monitor the voltage on the coil +ve whilst you manually open and
close the points, on a 6v coil with correctly wired ballast you should see
the voltage switch between about 6v with the points closed to 12v with the
points open.  With a 12v coil, and consequently no ballast, the +ve should
remain at about 12v regardless of whether the points are open or closed.  If
you see it switching between 8 or 9v and 12v that implies you are using a
12v coil with the loom ballast, which is incorrect.  Other than more
sparking than normal at the points, or measuring the current, there is no
easy way to tell from voltage if you are using a 6v coil with the required
ballast.  As far as current goes both systems should take about 4 amps.  If
you see 7 or 8 amps that implies you are using the 6v coil without the
required ballast.

As to confirming which coil you have, and hence whether it needs a ballast
or not, 6v coils measure about 1.5 ohms at the primary and 12v coils about 3
ohms.  A Lucas Sport coil I have measures about 2.4 ohms.

Hope this helps,
PaulH.