RE: plasma cutter

To: "'David Councill'" <dcouncil@imt.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: plasma cutter
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:41:14 -0400
I don't own one yet, but I used to use a friend's; he had a Lincoln, I think
it was 40 amps.  It would cut 3/16" in one pass and had a built in air
compressor.  It ran on standard 115V current.  If I were in the market, I
would seriously look at one with a built in compressor.  It makes them a
little heavier, and it does add about $2-300 to the sticker price, but you
know it will never lack air and it will work anywhere you can get an
extension cord.  It only weighed about 50 pounds and was smaller than my mig
welder even with the built in compressor.  If you shop around a little you
can find this size, with air for $1000.

I had use of it while doing my V8, and I don't think I would undertake
another restoration without one, especially if sills needed to be done.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer