Steering Wheel Removal

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "Frank Krajewski" <frankk@intap.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:04:17 -0400
I know this subject has been beat to death on here but as usual I didn't pay
much attention as I didn't have the problem. Now I  am faced with attempting
to remove a very stubborn wheel on my 1980 MGB LE. I have been soaking the
splines in PB Blaster for a week, have unbolted and removed the actual wheel
from the hub so all I have left is to remove the remaining hub from the shaft.
Despite all my tugging and frequently tapping on the underside there is no
sign of movement. I need to remove it so I can replace the turn signal
assembly which has decided that it no longer wants to indicate left turns or
flash the headlights. On this model the turn signal assembly slides down over
the shaft which requires removal of the steering wheel.  I have been looking
for a reasonably priced steering wheel removal tool but everything I have
looked at doesn't appear to work with the MGB. Has anyone acquired such a
tool? If so I would appreciate a lead. Thanks.
Frank "Swamp Yankee" Krajewski