Re: Steering Wheel Removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "Saul R. Morse" <saul@photoplace.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:03:13 -0700 (PDT)
I just went through the same problem trying to get my steering wheel off to fix
the horn and got
an excellent tip from another guy that kept me from having to destroy my wheel.

I bought a harmonic balancer puller from Advanced Auto and 2 5/16" fine thread
2" bolts from Lowes
(the ones in the kit were coarse thread). and used that to pop the wheel off.
Mine is a 76...so I
don't know enough about the variants in steering wheels, but I had soaked mine
in PB blaster for a
couple days, used the rubber mallet on everything that looked like it needed
whacked...and had no
luck either. With the puller I had it off in 2 minutes...I can't recommend it
any stronger!!!