RE: sheetmetal protection

To: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>, "MG List"
Subject: RE: sheetmetal protection
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:30:02 -0700
These questions were brought up during a class on MGA sheet metal
restoration given by Carl Heideman of Eclectic Motorworks in Michigan.

Check out Carl's website for a bunch of in progress shots of MGA
restoration, and if at all possible get to one of his classes.  (and no,
I don't get any kick backs) I did learn a heck of a lot and am now
looking forward to restoring my junky MGA.

http://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/

His answers were:

1.  Strip all replacement panels to bare metal and treat as new metal.

2.  Any areas which are to be welded must be completely clean to prevent
contamination of the weld.

This means that there will be some areas of bare metal on enclosed
panels.  Keep in mind these areas were bare when the car was originally
built.  The best way to preserve these areas is by shooting in
preservative after all the painting is done.  Some of the areas may be
paintable during construction, but welding integrity should be the #1
priority, corrosion resistance second.  A poorly welding joint will be
corrosion initiating point even under paint.

Any paint on repair panels is only there to protect the panel during
storage and is not usually an acceptable prime coat for finish paint.
In most cases all paint should be removed and the metal chemically
etched to ensure the best base for the surface and prime coats.

Kelvin.