Re: Roadster vs. Tourer Academics

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Subject: Re: Roadster vs. Tourer Academics
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:26:15 -0500
Barney Gaylord wrote:
> At 11:41 PM 7/1/04 -0500, TJ Tryon, Jr. wrote:
>
>> OK, from everything I've found on the internet, it appears that MG
>> made both a Tourer (convertible) and a GT (hard top) models.  Is
>> there/was there such a thing as a roadster model? ....
>>
>> So, what is the correct terminology, and what is the difference
>> between a roadster and tourer (not necessarily in MG land).
>

> I need a break after all night editing, so I'll take a shot at it.
>
> I seem to recall a Roadster defined as a two seat car with no top and a
> boot at the back.  The fact that the factory put a rag top and side
> curtains on the roadsters was a concession to the mass market, but they
> still called them Roadsters because you can take the top and curtains
> off.  The boot at the back part calls a question about some earlier cars
> that may have had some space there but no access cover, so maybe not
> technically a boot.

I'd agree with this accessment, except to say, in the late 60's, Datsun
made a convertable called the Fairlady in Japan. It's offical name in
US was "Roadster". It came in 1500 first, then 1600 and 2000 (OHC and
optional *huge* Solex weber-like side-draft carbs.

Roll up windows and a fold down top. I think the 1500 even had a jump
seat in back.

The words may not have started as interchangable. But they probably are
now.

Then again, other companies call Station Wagons, Tourers. Including,
what do you know, MG with the ZT-T