Re: [MG-MGB] Roadster vs. Tourer Academics

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] Roadster vs. Tourer Academics
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:40:08 -0400
TJ,
My 1969 Miriam-Websters defines a roadster as having "an open body and
one cross seat with a luggage compartment or rumble seat in the rear".
A touring car is defined as "an open automobile with two cross seats,
(usually) four doors and a folding top - called also phaeton, tourer."
As you can see, the definitions are and the MGB seems to fall
in-between, but I agree with Dan...you can't go too wrong calling it a
tourer, since it was dubbed that by the factory.  I think most of the
literature I've read refers to the MGB as a roadster designed for high
speed touring.  Hope that helps!

donny v
78 MGB

>>> Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com> 7/2/2004 8:11:22 AM >>>

TJ, the 'convertible' MGB was officially called a 'tourer' by the
facvtory. I always viewed 'roadster' to mean a car with no roll-up
windows, like the MGA. However, most people in the US call the
convertible 'roadsters'....  But you can't go wrong calling it a
'tourer', since that's what the factory called 'em....

"TJ Tryon, Jr." <tjt@insightbb.com> wrote:
OK, from everything I've found on the internet, it appears that MG made
both
a Tourer (convertible) and a GT (hard top) models.  Is  there/was there
such
a thing as a roadster model?  I've heard people call their convertible
MGB a
roadster, but technically, it should be called a tourer?

So, what is the correct terminology, and what is the difference between
roadster and tourer (not necessarily in MG land).

Reason I am asking, I'm doing website stuff for the local MG shop, and
want to, for my own knowledge, know what the heck to call one of his
projects I am documenting. Car can be found on his projects page, from
http://www.connellmg.com/  It's the black convertible.

Regards,
TJ