SU Fuel Pump Tip

To: MG Mail List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU Fuel Pump Tip
From: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:03:56 -0700
To all;

I normally lurk on this list.

I recently uncovered a problem with the SU fuel pump on my 1973 MGB.  This  tip
may be helpful to someone experiencing a similar problem.

My MGB would lose power and stumble between 3500-4500 rpms.  I tried new plugs
and wires, ignition  timing, carb tuning and checked for an intake manifold
leak.  All with no success.

I tested my fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel hose to the carbs, and the pump
conformed to the test specs I had. It was able to pump 1 pint in 15 seconds.

So, I am out on a drive and all of a sudden my car dies, and I realize that I
cannot hear the SU pump tic, tic, tic.  I rapped the pump and it started
working and I was able to get home.

Once home, I removed the pump and discovered the points were in bad shape.
Replaced the points, and my loss of power problem disappeared.

So my conclusions are that a pump can test ok, but not be able to keep up
adequate fuel pressure as RPM's increase, and that from now on I will be
replacing the fuel pump points as a matter of routine maintenance.

BTW, this was a SU pump about 8 years old with 17k miles of use and always
garaged.

I hope this tip helps.

John Di Fede
Hopewell Junction, NY  12533