Re: MGB trailer hitch

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB trailer hitch
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:28:14 -0700
Let's see... newly-purchased MGB... a 75, the lowest-output year... 5000
mile cross-country trip... through the midwest and southwest... in
mid-summer...half of it pulling a trailer...whew... is being completely
insane a fundamental flaw?

I mean, I am intimately familiar with the idiosyncracies of my B, and I know
it is essentially mechanically sound, with a very strong motor (easily 25
more HP than the 75), which never overheats in coastal California
conditions... and I am confident of my ability to repair it on the road if
necessary... but I would really have to think twice about pulling a trailer
over that route, at this time of year.

It might be different if your buddy were, say, Barney -- a genius ad hoc
mechanic, extremely familiar with the car, used to trailering, with a car
proven capable of towing (particularly the last item).

I would hate to drive 2500 miles only to find out my "pig in a poke" was
incapable of climbing the mountains out of New Mexico in 100 degree
temperatures with an extra 500lbs in tow. If he had to abandon the
motorcycle on the side of the highway out in the desert, what are the odds
he'd ever see it again?

I'd do the drive, no problem, even knowing it would be very likely to turn
into an adventure (I would even say guaranteed, under the circumstances)...
it's the towing part I'm dubious about. I think I might want to use that
payload capacity for extra water...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149