Midget VIN#

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget VIN#
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:39:18 -0500
Guys,

I recently bought a 1972 Midget with a title that shows the engine # rather
than the VIN #.  The vehicle has an Illinois title (showing the engine #), but
a Certificate of Registration (showing the VIN #) from Wisconsin where it was
kept at the PO's summer home.  The Certificate of Registration shows the VIN #
as being GAN5UC1138946.  The actual VIN # is GAN5UC113894 G.    My state Dept.
of Motor Vehicles says they can get it all straightened out and retitled after
having the vehicle inspected.

My question is what does the G at the end of the serial # mean?  I see in the
Moss catalog on the Production Data page they list a "G" after the serial #
only in years 76 on.  I plan on having this documentation from Moss handy for
the inspection in case it is needed, but would like a ready answer in case
this is questioned.

With this comedy of errors, I figure I better be able to come up with some
plausible answers before the questions are asked.  Any clues on the "G" at the
end?

TIA,

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE (properly titled)