Re: Starting problems (79 B)

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, "Keith G."
Subject: Re: Starting problems (79 B)
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:19:44 -0700
You can buy a post and clamp cleaner from any good auto parts place.  This
has the advantage of scouring in a circular format - unlike a knife!   You
just keep turning it until you have a nice shiny finish which will snug
down neatly on the other bit!   One tip -Never ever let anyone put their
finger up one !!!!!!!! KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN

At 10:06 AM 7/23/2004, Rocky Frisco wrote:
>Keith G. wrote:
>
>>So I finally get the carb rebuilt and back on the car, hook up the
>>battery and turn the key, and -- nothing.  In several attempts there was
>>a sound something like a grinding (that's the closest term I can think of
>>for it), but most of the time there is no noise.  Sounds like an
>>electrical problem (duh) but I don't know where to start on this.  Any
>>help appreciated.
>>In fact, if there's anyone near Lake Orion, MI that would be willing to
>>help out in person, that would be great.
>
>That sound might be the solenoid chattering.
>
>Here's why that happens:
>
>1. A bad battery connection or corroded inner solenoid contact limits the
>amount of current the system can carry.
>
>2. When the starter is actuated, the solenoid activates and connects the
>starter windings to the 12v+.
>
>3. This drops the limited current so much that there is no longer enough
>energy to keep the solenoid actuated, so the connection drops out.
>
>4. This makes the solenoid act like a doorbell buzzer. It's very hard on
>the solenoid and will eventually burn it out.
>
>5. The way to fix it is to provide good contact from the battery to the
>solenoid. Lead oxide looks just like lead, but is a fairly good insulator,
>so it's a very good idea to scrape the battery posts and the inside of the
>clamps with a sharp knife or terminal brush to get to bright metal, then
>reclamp.
>
>If it's the solenoid's inner contacts, either the solenoid must be
>disassembled and cleaned, or replaced.
>
>-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
>--
>JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm