Re: Bearing Replacement

To: Timfboston@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bearing Replacement
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 03:17:41 -0500
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,

At 12:54 PM 7/27/04 -0400, Timfboston@aol.com wrote:
>I never knew it was "recommended" to change the bearings until I saw it in
>my trusty Haynes Manual.
>Chapter 1, Section 37, paragraph 4
>"Experience has indicated that long engine life can be obtained by
>changing big-end bearings at 30,000 mile intervals, and main bearings at
>50,000 mile intervals, irrespective of obvious bearing condition."

I saw the same thing in a Fiat shop manual about 1971 (probably also
Haynes), and nearly died laughing.  Why don't they make it 25/50 or 30/60,
so you don't have to R&R the oil pan so often?  There are times when you'd
be jerking it apart at 10,000 mile intervals, and it doesn't even coincide
with the recommended 3,000 mile oil change intervals.  Do you sometimes put
the old oil back in after the bearing change?

If I did the 30/50 thing I'd have it apart at:
  30,000 - 50,000 - 60,000 - 90,000 - 100,000 - 120,000 - 150,000
Finally the first time they coincide at is 150K.  Is this when you're
supposed to do machining for a rebore and new pistons?  Or do you drop that
in between somewhere and put the old bearings back in until they're really
due?   When I drive 17,000 miles per year, it means I have the pan off to
change bearings 7 times in 9 years?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com