RE: mgb mark I dash paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: mgb mark I dash paint
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:50:56 -0700 (PDT)
I just painted mine, and I used the wrinkle black
paint from Moss Motors, which seems as good as any.
But beware - it's not quite as easy as it might seem
to get good results.

The key to getting good wrinkling is heat, but
although most people recommend heat lamps or a hair
dryer, I got very poor results with those methods.  It
was virtually impossible to get the wrinkling uniform
and consistent across the entire face of the dash.  It
tended to wrinkle more in some places (where,
presumably, I had slightly more heat) and less in
others.

After two failed attempts, first with heat lamps and
then with a dryer, I ended up shooting it a third time
in my backyard on a hot, sunny day.  Bingo!  That
worked the best.  The finish still isn't as uniform
and even as the factory job, but it's very presentable
and defintely good enough for a driver.  I would liken
the results to any paint job done with spray cans...
no matter how careful you are, it's never quite as
good as the same job shot with a proper spray gun.

Best of luck and have fun with it,

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005