Re: MGA Heater shut-off valve

To: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>, "'MG List'"
Subject: Re: MGA Heater shut-off valve
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:57:03 -0500
At 08:20 AM 7/28/04 -0700, Howard Battan wrote:
>One item I noticed on several of the MGA and on the Twin Cam was a ball
>valve shut-off in the heater hose. .... I'm wondering if there is any
>historical precedent to their use?

Sure.  Historically a lot of people have rashly (and incorrectly) assumed
that the original heater control valve will not shut off the fluid flow, so
they felt compeled to modify something.

>.... I never have been able to stop the hot air from getting into the
>interior of the car by using the heater controls.

Most attempts to modify or replace the original heater valve are aimed at
increasing the water flow when it's open for better heating in cold weather.

If you adjust the control cable properly on the standard heater valve it
will shut off just fine.  No need to basatardize the car to fix a
non-problem.  Check here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/heater/hr101.htm

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and cool in the summer)
http://mgaguru.com