Short in the Hand brake, long in the misery!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Short in the Hand brake, long in the misery!
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:44:32 EDT
Hi,
I have probably written to the list before about the TBS or Tired Battery
Syndrome I've been suffering from lately. It has really perplexed and puzzled
me.
Until yesterday, when I think (or Hope) that I've finally found the source of
my problem. Yesterday for the first time in a long time for some reason I
didn't set the hand brake when I parked the car. And lo and behold,..today when
went to start the car it really started up like it had a fresh battery or a
full charge. Before, if I wasn't careful the MGB's battery would run down if
the car didn't start after the 2nd or 3rd try. So I had to be sure I did
everything in proper sequence. Turn the key on, wait until the fuel pump had
been on
long enough for the fuel to reach the engine. Then I'd pump the gas pedal
about 5 times as I turned the motor over. If it didn't start in three seconds
or
so, I'd turn the key off quit pumping the gas pedal, and wait a second or so
then turn the engine over again and hopefully it'd start right up...But, if it
didn't, that meant I only had one more time to try or..that would be the end
of, or close to all the juice the battery would have. Then, I'd have to get out
my handy Battery in a Box that I've been carrying around in the MGB ever since
this darn battery thing began about 6 months ago, about the same time that I
had to put a new alternator on the car after I accidentally "fried" the diode
and assorted hot wires that went to the alternator. Since then I've had these
darn battery problems. I even installed a Battery Cut Off switch to help stop
the battery drain. But now that I've finally isolated the problem, all I have
to do is find out where the short is! Any one ever had a similar problem? More
to follow.....
Albert Escalante
1978 MGB / 1977 Jaguar XJ-6L
Central Coast British Car Club-Ventura, CA.
www.ccbcc.org