Re: Short in the Hand brake, long in the misery!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Short in the Hand brake, long in the misery!
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:26:43 EDT
On 7- 31-'04 @ 8:36:11 AM PST ccrobins@ktc.com tried to explain to
aeseeyou@aol.com the following well known fact:

>One note on your starting procedure.  If your engine has the original Z-S
carburetor, you're >wasting your time pumping the gas pedal.  The carb has no
accelerator pump, y'see.

CR,
Thanks...I've been told that over and over...Still, I'll be darned if I don't
have to pump like a mad rabbit during the first 1or 2 seconds that I'm
cranking the motor over..or it just won't start! Go figure..I am open to any
and all
plausible explanations as to why the Z-S won't help start my Bee unless I
literally almost kick the bejeezuz out of the gas pedal. My friend who is also
an
excellent mechanic once yelled at me for a good 5 minutes (after I have
ignored the same advice as you just gave me---"You don't have to pump the gas
pedal...in fact it does no good to pump it anyway because of the Z-S's inherent
properties (no accelerator pump, etc.!)..." All I can say is I wish you were
here
to actually see what I mean! But, Thank you for your prompt response and
advice which is noted and greatly appreciated!!
-=SAFETY-FAST!=-
Albert Escalante 1978 MGB
original 1800cc engine w/ 58,000 mi.(or maybe 2,580,000 miles?)
w/ single Zenith-Stromberg carburetor