Synthetic oils - was - Oil for Overdrive Transmission

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Synthetic oils - was - Oil for Overdrive Transmission
From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:46:22 -0700
Thanks Larry. One of the comments made in this dissertation was:

>>There are a few cautions to observe with synthetics. According to the
same chemist, "On pre1980 cars, you may have seal problems (newer cars
have compatible seals). <<

Does anybody know if the materials used in new aftermarket seals for the
LBC engines like my 1600cc MGA engine are compatible with the synthetic
oils?  I just had my engine completely overhauled, and after a proper
break-in period with Castrol 30w (as directed), I'd like to consider
using a synthetic oil. If the material the new seals (for old cars) is
not up to the task with synthetic oils, I may want to stay away.

I guess a few comments from folks who have used synthetic oils in newly
rebuilt engines would be helpful.

Recommended or not?

Howard Battan
Auburn, WA