Midget distributor

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget distributor
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:51:20 -0500
Hello MG friends,
   I finally worked out the problem with my '76 Midget's ignition
although I haven't completed the repairs (parts ordered).  Here's
what I learned.
   The distributor on my '76 Midget is a 45D4electronic but the
electronics module has failed.  To rectify that problem, the PO
(possibly DPO) who has a collection of Midgets, mostly old Frog
Eyes, installed an Igniter detector and wired it directly into the coil
circuit.  For the most part, it worked, when freshly installed ... I
suppose.
   The problem, certainly NOT obvious, was that the PO did NOT
install the rotating magnets that came with the Igniter kit but rather
just left the old 45D4electronic magnet-ring in place.  Today, I know
THAT is the problem.  Either some of the magnets have weakened
with time or slight shaft wobble preferentially shifts the shaft back
and forth keeping the magnets from triggering reliably the Igniter.
The result is an intermittent spark on cylinders #1 and #4.
   I decided to address BOTH problems (the magnets AND the
worn bushings) by replacing the old 45D4electronic with a rebuilt
45D4 (circa 1974), points and condenser.  The part is available
from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $80 plus a $20 core charge!  It comes
with new points and condenser.  That is my planned solution.
   I have ordered the part and since it is Sunday (here), it will be a
couple of days before it arrives.  By mid next week the Midget
should be back on the road!  Keep your fingers crossed for me
please.

Rick / Tulsa