Re: Multi grade Oil in high mileage engines/cars

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Multi grade Oil in high mileage engines/cars
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:09:44 +0100
Certainly in the UK oils are usually labelled "for high mileage or older
engines" in the case of 15W/50 or 20W/50 and "for modern engines" in the
case of very light viscosities like 5W/30.  There is nothing wrong with
multi-grades per se, it is the grade that is important.  I would never use a
modern very light viscosity oil in my MGB, even if it had just been rebuilt
to original tolerances.  When GTX in the UK changed from 15W/50 to 15W/40 I
noticed lower hot oil pressures in the V8 and have since changed to another
brand that is still 15W/50.

PaulH.