betson bolt adventure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: betson bolt adventure
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:32:36 -0600
For the first time in weeks, my 72B has successfully retained all of its
coolant. I checked when I got home and after the engine cooled a bit and
coolant is still less than 1/2" from the neck, right where I filled it to
on Saturday. The rear core plug had started to leak last week whereas
before it was seeping just enough that I could not detect the origin. I
used a modified Betson bolt for the fix. I didn't have any good flat scrap
metal around but I found a flat metal bumper bracket that already had a
hole in it just at the size to thread it with a 7/16" tap. Using a 7/16"
fine thread bolt of about 2" in length, I was able to tighten the bolt
against the core plug enough to cause it to seal. Its possible that it may
have dimpled the core plug enough that I could remove it but I left it in
place anyway. I will leave instructions Gerry posted earlier at the bottom
of this email for anyone interested in more details.

I also replaced what may have been the original radiator cap that I have
probably used without incident for over 20 years. I also decided to run a
compression test. Maybe I shouldn't have - the car ran great today so why
ruin a good thing and find some problem. And in typical fashion for this 72
B restoration, it stays on the edge. The front three cylinders were right
at 149-150 psi with my Sears compression tester. But the rear one came in
at 135 psi, low enough for concern perhaps but still barely at the 10%
tolerance level. Something to keep an eye on I suppose.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B

>From: Rob O. -Mobile AL USA- rob@******.org on 24 November 2000 at
>19:36:14
>
>There is a gap of about an inch or two (a few centimeters, sorry) between
>the
>engine plate and the rear of the block where the freeze plug in question
>is
>located. There is a hole in the rear engine plate directly opposite the
>freeze
>plug, so that one could see the plug if one were behind the engine.
>Fortunately, this is also above the transmission.
>
>We took a piece of scrap iron, perhaps 1/4" thick and 2"x5", and drilled a
>hole
>dead in the center of the flat side. This hole was then threaded to
>accommodate
>a 3/8" bolt, and a suitable bolt was found. This bolt needs to be rather
>long,
>and a head you can put a socket on would be very nice. This piece of iron
>was
>inserted in the gap between the plate and freeze plug. The bolt was then
>inserted through the hole and threaded into the plate. As the bolt is
>tightened, it reaches further through the plate until it contacts the
>plug.
>Continued tightening will force the iron scrap rearward against the rear
>engine
>plate and the freeze plug further forward into the hole. and dimple it as
>it
>goes.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: