Re: Timing 101

To: joyride@sasktel.net
Subject: Re: Timing 101
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:02:18 -0400
Andrew,
   The MG plan was that the one bolt clamped the distributor into the
plate, and that the elongaged holes in the plate offered sufficient
adjustment in conjunction with the vernier.
   The practical application of this is that one gets the distributor set
right in the plate, then doesn't loosen that single bolt again.  The
distributor has a tendency to work its way upward out of the plate and to
wear away its soft cast-metal clamping area.  Many distributors are
pretty well worn at this age, and it may be difficult to keep the
worn/tapered shape clamped in the plate.   As the two 7/16 plate bolts
are difficult to reach, at least I should say they have always been for
me, it's understandable that many owners have, unfortunately, used the
clamp bolt for adjustment.
  But once the distributor is clamped properly in the plate, I think you
will find that there is adequate adjustment with the olongated holes and
the use of the A-R (advance/retard) vernier to allow you to get the
timing just right.
Bob

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:22:54 -0600 Andrew Martens <joyride@sasktel.net>
writes:
> A basic Q re timing a 1973 MGB. Must one loosen the distributor clamp
> plate bolts AND the pinch bolt to adjust the timing? Why the
> elongated holes in the clamp plate?
>
> thanks
> andrew

Check out the new British Cars Forum: