Re: Timing 101

To: "Andrew Martens" <joyride@sasktel.net>, "MG digest"
Subject: Re: Timing 101
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:34:18 +0100
Generally no, the elongation in the holes is enough to cater for 'normal'
timing adjustments, once you originally positioned the clamp plate on the
block in the middle of the slots, set the timing, then tightened the clamp
bolt.  Continually slackening and retightening the clamp bolt is also not
good as most people seem to overtighten them and this gradually knackers the
shoulder on the distributor body.  When this happens the distributor can
jump out of the clamp plate and is scrap.  When changing points I remove the
distributor complete with its clamp-plate which also helps with refitting in
the correct place - it is close enough to start and run and check the
dynamic timing without static timing it first, even if the engine and
distributor shaft have been moved.  I have to say this is much easier with
the 45D than the 25D.

PaulH.