Mazda 5 speed update

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mazda 5 speed update
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:56:31 -0400
A couple of people asked for updates, so here is update #1.  The
transmission couldn't be any more similar to an MGB without being the same
box.  The bell housing is about 2" smaller in diameter than the mgb bell,
however all mounting holes still lie on the portion of the rear plate that
is outside the block.  The starters are located in exactly the same place.
The transmission is about 2 inches longer and uses a slip yoke so a new
driveshaft will be needed.  The shifter is in exactly the same spot.

Basically the only things that need to be worked out are the speedo drive
(which I haven't even looked at) and the clutch/flywheel.  I have not
decided yet whether I will go Mazda parts or mg parts here, but I suspect
Mazda.  The Mazda input shaft is recessed .4" inside the bell housing while
the mgb's input shaft sticks out about 1.5"  Since the Mazda starter bolts
to the bell housing, I anticipate using Mazda parts and machining a spacer
with adapter to fit the Mazda flywheel to the mg crank.

Update number two may be a long time coming.  I will be co-oping next
semester instead of having classes.  I have taken a co-op with Honda R&D in
Columbus so I will now be 3hours away from my shop rather than 1hr.

I will, however, keep everyone posted on progress as it happens.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer

Check out the new British Cars Forum: