Re: clutch bleed wierdness

To: "Tim Holt" <holtt@nacse.org>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch bleed wierdness
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:46:36 +0100
Normal.  It is the throw of the pedal and MC that prevents the piston coming
out of the end of the slave cylinder - unless the slave doesn't return after
each stroke.  Even then it is the clutch, even when fully disengaged, that
prevents the piston coming out, unless something is broken in there like the
release bearing was on mine.  Then there is no back pressure on the clutch
at all apart from the pedal return spring and 3 or 4 pumps is enough to push
the piston out.  Without clutch pressure there is nothing to push the piston
back into the cylinder on the return stroke, the MC doesn't suck it back.

The slave spring actually does the reverse thing, it is trying to push the
piston *out*, and keeps the piston, clutch arm, release bearing and clutch
all pressed up together.  Without that vibration and crank movement would
gradually push the piston further back into the cylinder, which means that
the next time you use the clutch part of the pedal movement is used to take
up all the play and the clutch won't disengage until the pedal is closer to
the floor than 'usual', if at all.

If the slave hose is new then something else in the hydraulic system must be
acting as a check-valve, possibly debris in the MC blocking the bypass hole.
I'd pump it up, making sure the slave has come out and not gone back in when
the pedal was released, then slackened the hose connection to the slave
slightly.  If that causes fluid to weep out and the piston to return slowly,
then the slave is OK.  Ditto the connection between the hose and the pipe,
and the pipe and the master.  If this last does it then the problem is in
the master.

But first of all with the system pumped up I'd see if I could push the
piston back into the cylinder by hand.  If so, then the 'lock-up' is inside
the bell-housing.

PaulH.