Re: Gas Tank Repair

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Repair
From: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@net-venture.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:02:13 -0800
Bob,
I had a very satisfactory restoration done on the original gas tank in my 1967
MGB GT by a local (Tacoma, WA) radiator shop. A month ago, for slightly less
than the cost of a new reproduction tank, they boiled it out, lined the
interior with something that looks like plastic, and painted the exterior. I
don't think the new tanks (if you can get one) are worth the money. For one
thing, they have no baffles. For another, if you don't slush the interior,
they'll start rusting immediately. I wouldn't advise trying to restore an old
gas tank on a DIY basis using one of the readily available kits. As in any
sheet metal work, the quality of the prep work determines how well the job
turns out. Most hobbiests don't have the means to successfully clean out
something like an old MGB gas tank with its inaccessible baffles and non-
removable fuel pickup.

~Jerry

> I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with "Gas Tank Renu"?  My '63 MGB
> tank has been sitting for 20+ years. A good layer of surface rust and stuff
> rattling around inside. I trying to decide whether to replace it or repair.
>
> Bob Scardamalia
> 1963 MGB

Check out the new British Cars Forum: