Re: Generator to Alternator conversion

To: <jello@ida.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Generator to Alternator conversion
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:35:48 +0100
AFAIK the OE water pumps are cast iron, it is the copies that are alloy.  My
pump failed and I fitted a replacement that turned out to be an alloy copy,
having to file out one of the mounting holes to get it to fit anyway
although the gasket was a perfect fit!  That started weeping whilst warming
up after a few thousand miles so I bought an OE pump that turned out to be
cast iron.  As the copy was only weeping a bit I left it on the car but have
carried the OE unit in the boot ever since.  That was several years and tens
of thousands of miles ago, and still the situation.  All that is somewhat
by-the-by, but it does occur to me that being a conversion to an alternator
maybe the brackets weren't perfectly lined up and it has been under stress.

PaulH.