Generator to Alternator conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Generator to Alternator conversion
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:49:54 US/Mountain
I converted my '67 MGB from a generator to an alternator a couple years
ago.  Did everything my self, and put in a long bolt and spacers on the
back of it.  It seemed to work just fine........until this weekend.  There
I was driving over the Teton pass and the Pine Creek pass (in Wyoming and
Idaho) at midnight, and I hear a bad noise, followed (about 5 miles later)
by no power generation (or is that alternation?).  My lower alternator
bolt (that does the adjustment) had come out, and, my water pump housing
broke at the alternator mount point.  I'm actually amazed that my water
pump kept turning and cooling with the belt as totally sloppy as it was.
Anyhow, I stole a bolt from the radiator shroud and put it in the lower
bolt of the alternator, then tightened the long bolt as much as I could.
It got me home.

So today - I think I'm ordering a more stable mount - there's one
regularly available from one of our large parts suppliers.  Lesson
learned!! And if I could get a cast iron water pump (like my MGA has) I'd
take it over the pot metal one any day.

Phil
Bates

Check out the new British Cars Forum: