Re: TD brake light saga better but continued

To: "Roger Wilt" <rdwilt@pol.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD brake light saga better but continued
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:21:22 +0100
Whilst a short can be of insufficient current to blow the fuse, but of
sufficient current to cause a slightly dodgy connection between it and the
voltage source to go open-circuit or almost so, if the problem were in the
turn signal switch it would be there all the time and not just when you
operate the brakes.  If you have 12v on the hot side of the brake switch
normally, but it drops to zero or nearly so when you operate the brakes,
then there is either a short (or nearly so) on the brake lights plus a weak
connection between the switch and the battery, or simply a bad connection.
If the brake lights work by connecting the lights side of the brake switch
direct to the battery, without smoking your linking wire, then you can
discount a short at the lights.  Which leaves the bad connection.  Do the
turn signals and running lights work with the brakes on?  If so, and if the
brake light switch gets its 12v supply from the turn switch as you imply,
then the fault must be between the two switches.  It could be where a wire
joins to a connector or a connector to a component.  If the turn signals
fail as well then the problem lies between the turn switch and the battery.

PaulH.