Re: Info on Spark Plug gap

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Info on Spark Plug gap
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:21:36 +0100
Originally the gap was 25 thou, increased to 35 thou in 76 shortly after the
introduction of electronic ignition for North America and ballasted coils
for all rubber bumper cars.  The more you increase the plug gap the higher
the HT voltage gets in the rest of the system, which can eventually cause
break-down of other components.  A bigger gap, and hence higher voltage, can
sometimes help in starting an engine under very adverse conditions like poor
state of tune and very damp conditions (many years a go I got one to start
by pulling the coil lead out of the coil a little way while someone else
cranked and it started instantly), but otherwise I wouldn't bother
increasing it above manufacturers specs, particularly with your intended
usage.

PaulH.