Re: Timing with Pertronix

To: "Zach Dorsch" <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>, "MG LIST"
Subject: Re: Timing with Pertronix
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:30:45 +0100
It shouldn't need a different timing to running with points, but don't
forget that with today's fuels and older engines with worn and possibly
non-original parts timing is best done by trial and error anyway, setting
the most advance you can get away with without pinking at any combination of
throttle, revs or load.  A North American 73 would probably originally have
had an 18V 672/673 engine with a 25D4 41491 distributor.  This set-up had a
static timing of 6 degrees and a strobe of 15 degrees at 1500 rpm.  With
unleaded and lower octane fuel you may have to *retard* from this.  Vacuum
source should be manifold, so you would set the timing with the vacuum pipe
disconnected and the manifold plugged, reconnecting afterwards and resetting
the idle speed as required.  Connected you may well see 16 to 20 degrees of
advance at idle.

It seems to be the case that fitting one often moves the timing quite
significantly, probably due to dimensional differences, and so retiming is a
must.  If you are having problems after fitting the Pertronix then go back
to points.  If this clears the problem then send the Pertronix back.

PaulH.