Re: Turn Signals - MGA

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turn Signals - MGA
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:42:52 -0400
Mike,
If your MGA has combined turn signal and brake light bulbs, then you will
have a brake stop lamp relay box in the engine bay. Its job when at a
stoplight with signals on is to interrupt a brake lamp and continue
signaling even though the other brake lamp is on.
This little box, about 3" x 4 1/2" and sitting 2" high has 4 terminals down
each side. The lid is a 1 piece metal thing that will pop off by inserting a
flat blade screwdriver under the flange at one end and prying gently.
Inside are 2 pairs of bobbins and contacts. Gently clean all these contacts
using fine emery paper. Try not to bend the preset air gap contact spacings.
Now try your signals before snapping the lid back on. Likely this is your
problem, as they work some of the time, not others.
Let me know how it goes.
Rich Chrysler