Lucas 45DM4 Distributor

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas 45DM4 Distributor
From: "Arthur Freeman" <arthurf@objectify.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:47:56 +1000
Dear All,

My ex-California 1977 MGB Roadster started off life (even with me here
in Australia) with Lucas Electronic Ignition (the distributor was Lucas
45DM4, and the amplifier electronics were bolted onto the inside of the
mudguard/fender (just beside the coil).    The ignition has a ballast
resistor in the circuit.

Since the electronic ignition failed on me, I have been using the 25D4
distributor out of my '72 GT.   I now want the 25D4 back for the
original car, and have been through various searches and decisions as to
what to do with the roadster!.    Finally I have purchased a Pertronix
Ignitor (model LU147), and started to look at how it all goes together.
Upon stripping the distributor, I find that there are no springs for the
centrifugal advance inside the carburettor.

Anyone know much about this?

Anyone else stripped one of these distributors, and should the springs
be there?

Is it likely that the Lucas electronics would have controlled the
advance, and that the centrifugal advance is merely left there to fill
up space (and limit the variations on the distributors) and the
centrifugal advance is left "fully advanced" or do I have to now start
and try to find springs for the distributor?

Thanks in advance,

Arthur Freeman

Quality Manager

:: OBJECTIFY.

t  1800 666 062

e  arthurf@objectify.com.au

w  www.objectify.com.au

DISCLAIMER:
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended for the named
recipient/s only. The information contained in this message may be
confidential, legally privileged and copyright work. Please do not copy
or forward this email unless you have the express permission of the
sender to do so. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately by return email and delete this message.
Objectify does not warrant or guarantee that this email or any files
transmitted with it are free of errors, viruses or interference, or have
been received in the form sent. The recipient assumes all
responsibilities for any consequences resulting from any use of this
email or any files transmitted with it.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: