Re: Fog Lights

To: "Scott Regel" <Scott.Regel@dpra.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fog Lights
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:07:52 -0400
Scott,

   The proper way to install fog lights is to use a relay.
In this manner, the switch is not in the high current loop
so it will not heat up and also so it will not cause a
voltage drop.

   Normal installation is such that the relay is placed on
the firewall or fender well as close to the load (in this
case, the lights) as possible and convenient.   You are
trying to minimize the distance between the source and load
to avoid any voltage drop.   Small wires can be run from
the relay coil to the switch in the passenger compartment,
and large (#10) wires are run to the relay contacts with
one side going to the load and the onther side to the
source.

   Fuses should generally be places as close to the source
as possible.  This is to avoid any unfused wire length and
possible sources for fires.  This is why fuses in your
house are at/near the entrance panel.

   Avoid cheap in-line automotive fuses.  I have seen them
get so hot as to unsolder the endcaps of the fuses causing
the fuse to blow.  A few car companies had recalls for this
in the 80's.

   Hope that this helps.

    Gene Balnski

       80 B

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:07:08 -0500
 "Scott Regel" <Scott.Regel@dpra.com> wrote:
> I have an extra pair of fog lights and decided to put
> them on my B.
> They are fused, but do I need any other precautions like
> a relay?  The
> instructions suggest running the hot wire to the battery
> terminal.  Is
> there a better place...safe place to do this on the fuse
> box?
>
> TIA
>
> Scott
>
> 76 B