Re: Fog Lights

To: "Scott Regel" <Scott.Regel@dpra.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fog Lights
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:14:40 +0100
It depends if you want to override them with the main lighting switch or
dipswitch.  If so you must use a relay or you can cause heat damage to the
main lighting switch and dipswitch because of the additional current.  If
you want to be able to use them independently of the main lights then
strictly speaking you don't need a relay, although one is advisable.

In the former case use a ground through the foglight switch connected to one
side of a relay winding, the other side of the relay winding being connected
via an in-line fuse to an existing headlight (e.g. blue/red at the dipswitch
for the dipped beam) or parking light (red/green at the fusebox).  One side
of the relay contacts is wired out to the lamps.  The other side can pick up
an already fused supply like the purple at the fusebox, or an unfused supply
via an in-line fuse from a brown at the fusebox or the solenoid.  You can
get fused relays, but it is better to have the fuse as close as possible to
where you are picking up the power.  If you are using an illuminated switch
one side of the lamp will be connected to the output side of the switch,
which carries a ground when it is on,  so the other side of the lamp needs a
fused 12v supply.  To avoid the confusion of the indicator being on when the
foglights aren't this should be the same connection as for the relay i.e.
the blue/red or the red/green.

If they are independent of the other lights with no relay then pick up a
purple or fused brown as before, via the foglight switch to the lamps.

If they are independent of the other lights without a relay pick up a purple
or fused brown, through the foglight switch, to the lamps.

PaulH.