Re: Throttle Shaft leakage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Throttle Shaft leakage
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:44:20 -0600
At 01:27 PM 9/9/2004 -0400, CYNAMONB@aol.com wrote:
>Much better to re-bush. If you go oversize on the shafts you have to drill
>out the fittings as well.

I agree. But there are two choices as mentioned - one is to get the
oversize shafts and then bore to fit. Such a tool could be bought or made,
or so I heard. But it is doable.

But I think the right way is to re-bush. The bushings are cheap and you are
restoring to what it was. However, this may require having a shop install
the bushings which may involve shipping off the carb bodies. I did this for
my HS carbs back in the late 80s - sent them to a Bob Schaller(?) in
Phoenix after the Roadster Factory gave me his name since I was living in a
remote area of Utah. And now more than 16 or 17 years later, those carbs
are still in excellent shape and still in use in my 72B (after being used
in my 71BGT).

My 67BGT has some wear in the shafts so I have contemplated sending them
off also. I just haven't got around to it yet. But I did contact Lawrie
(from this list) a year or two ago and he quoted a price to do it. I don't
recall the price or whether it included the parts but suffice to say, I am
fairly sure it can all be done for less than $100 USD to get the bodies
back in shape. Other parts like jets, springs, etc are also quite cheap so
you can have your SUs like new with just a moderate expenditure and a
little work.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B