ignition light

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ignition light
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:17:19 -0500
A question for the electrical gurus:
Tonight I was driving home with the headlights on, but no heater, radio, or
any other accessory, and I noticed that the ignition light was glowing
slightly and was also blinking. It seemed to glow a little brighter when I
turned on the high beams and also at HIGHER revs (this seems weird). When I
stopped at idle and turned off all the lights it did not glow at all, nor
with the parking lights on, but glowed very dimly while on high beam. The
blinking of the ignition light was neither rhythmic nor at a steady
brightness; sometimes a very dim flash, others a more pronounced flash, but
at no time a bright flash.
This is on the 79B with HIF's and a non-Lucas alternator that was replaced
in the last 4 months. The headlights and tail lights are halogen
replacements- I believe 55 or 60W high beam headlights. The alternator belt
is tightened pretty snuggly because after I replaced the alternator the
battery kept running down and it was finally traced to a belt that was too
loose, even though it was tighter than the one on the 67B generator, which
worked fine.
Is this a diode problem with the replacement alternator or an overloaded
circuit with the Halogen lights?
Thanks,
Monte

Check out the new British Cars Forum: