Re: Ignition ballast -- where is it?

To: Saabnutty@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ignition ballast -- where is it?
From: "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:39:05 -0500
No, it's a resistor. As Paul says in another post. The 45DE had this
extra resistor. Changed again for the 45DM.

For Rocky, I took a picture. Got the digital camera out of the cabinet,
went out to the car, grabbed by Prospero wiring diagram, popped the
hood/bonnet. Turned on camera. Wouldn't turn on. Dead battery. It annoys
me when people don't take care of the office equipment. Start to go
back. Wait, in my pocket is my Palm Zire. We'll give it a try.

http://horton.iaces.com/~ptroot/resistor.jpg

It's not very good, sorry. It's hard to take a good picture with that thing.

Anyway, the wiring diagram clearly shows, a resistor wire and a ballast
resistor. There are 3 wires going to the stock distributor (this is 45DE
we're talking here. Which is somewhere in the '76-'78 range, US models.
Mine is a '77). 1 from ve- on the coil, 1 from ve+ on the coil through
the ballast wire and 1 through the ballast wire and the ballast
resistor. The resistor was by-passed during cranking to get the car
started.

When you install a pertronix. You don't use any of these wires. The
pertronix has 2 wires coming out (at least mine does, it's the
non-ballasted version). 1 goes to ve+, 1 to ve-.

Paul.

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB